Partner (Head of Private Client – Wills, Trust, Probate and Estate Inheritance Planning)
Jane Flaherty – Legal Background
Jane’s areas of expertise are wills, probate, powers of attorney, Court of Protection, Trusts and in particular elderly client covering matters such as care fee advice.
Client care is at the heart of her practice – understanding and knowing one’s client is key to offering an excellent service. Her area of work is very much about people often at a time when families are facing difficult times or having to make difficult decisions. Jane’s approach is very down to earth, offering practical advice whilst taking care of legal solutions. She’s very approachable and understands that her clients are all different and it is important to be adaptable.
She’s always happy to do home visits where mobility is an issue at no extra cost to ensure disability does not become a barrier to getting legal advice.
Equally, she’s happy to see clients outside of 9-5 as she understands that working patterns can also be a barrier to accessing legal services.
Awards, Accreditations & Memberships
- Full accredited member of Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE)
- Member of the Society of Trusts and Estate Practitioners
- Jane passed with distinction the Advanced Step Certificate in advising vulnerable clients thus enhancing her knowledge to advise on more complex matters
- She passed the Advanced Step certificate in Trust disputes enabling her to advise my clients on the pitfalls to consider when entering into a trust arrangement.
- Jane organised a care seminar inviting people to an event on ‘care matters’ covering topics such as paying for care, equity release, powers of attorney and care planning options.
- At a previous firm, she overhauled their private client department – updating all working practices and procedures.
- She has successfully mediated a number of contentious court of protection matters preventing large legal costs associated with such matters being resolved through the court.
Work in the Community / Pro Bono Work
Jane often give free talks to various community groups on a variety of subjects such as the importance of making a will, powers of attorney, court of protection or care fee matters.
She believes it is important to share knowledge so people can make informed choices regarding their personal affairs.